Joseph Lezamiz, DC
Chiropractors located in Howard Beach, NY
Neck pain can be more than a minor annoyance as it can actually make it hard to turn your head. Dr. Joseph Lezamiz and his team use a variety of treatment options to provide effective relief for neck pain to patients in Lindenwood, Howard Beach, New York.
Neck Pain Q & A
What causes neck pain?
Because the neck must bear the weight of the human head it has to remain flexible. This can also make it prone to injury. One of the causes of neck pain is the result of a pinched nerve. This happens when the vertebrae shift out of alignment, causing them to push down on the nerves and producing pain in the neck.
Vertebrae can shift out of alignment from:
- Sleeping wrong
- Herniated disc
- Biomechanical or Postural Pain
- Your neck being stuck in an awkward position for long periods of time
- Your neck being forced beyond its normal range of motion
Can neck pain can be prevented?
Some of the most common reasons neck pain occurs can be avoided by using a few simple techniques. These include:
- Using a firm pillow when you sleep
- Sleeping on your side or on your back
- Maintaining good posture when your sit or stand
- Moving your computer monitor to eye level
- Getting regular exercise to maintain proper movement in your neck
When should I visit a doctor for neck pain?
Neck pain is a common disturbance but if the pain begins to interrupt your day-to-day activities, a doctor’s care may be necessary. You should visit the office of Dr. Joseph Lezamiz for neck pain if:
- Your neck pain or stiffness does not improve after a few days
- You cannot turn your head without severe neck pain
- You take over-the-counter medications to treat pain
- You’re worried that your neck pain may have a serious cause
- You feel numbness or tingling in your hands or wrists
- Your neck pain started within a few days of a car accident
Treatment will vary based on your condition. Some of the options can include: medication management such as anti-inflammatory medications; behavioral pain management; physical therapy or acupuncture.
Dr. Lezamiz's practice accepts most major insurance providers, including worker's compensation and no-fault (car accidents). Please contact our office directly for additional insurance details.